6 Reasons Your Furnace Is Refusing to Ignite
As we head deeper into winter and temperatures continue to drop, it’s more important than ever that your furnace lights properly. When it fails to ignite, it can’t produce the warm air that keeps you and your family comfy and cozy.
There are a number of reasons a furnace won’t ignite. Here are some of the more common problems:
1. There’s a problem with your furnace pressure switch. The pressure switch makes sure your furnace is drafting properly (removing unwanted gases that can make you sick or cause small explosions inside the heat exchanger). When this problem occurs, it’s best to schedule an appointment with a trained HVAC technician.
2. The gas shut-off valve to your furnace is closed. Your furnace should be equipped with a valve that allows you to stop or start the flow of gas. If the handle is parallel to the gas pipe, the valve is open and gas should flow. If the handle is at a right angle to the pipe, the valve is closed. A simple turn of the handle should solve the problem.
3. The furnace door isn’t shut properly. With some models, the furnace will not fire up unless the door is closed tightly. This is any easy fix. When you close the door, make sure it snaps or clicks shut.
4. The thermostat isn’t set properly. If you lower the temperature on your thermostat a few degrees, the heater should kick on.
5. The circuit breaker was tripped. If your furnace has an electronic ignition system, a power surge can trip the circuit breaker. Resetting the breaker should be your answer.
6. Your furnace’s flame sensor is on the fritz. If there’s a problem with the flame sensor, it could be cutting off the gas flow too early, which prevents your furnace from lighting. This is another problem best handled by a professional HVAC tech.
Blue Ribbon is the team to trust for your home’s heating and cooling needs. We’re also pros at testing your indoor air quality and recommending improvements to make it cleaner and fresher. To schedule your appointment, use our convenient form or call us at 512.308.3515 today!