Even a Short Cold Season Can Boost Your Costs
As late November approaches, the temperatures in Bastrop and the surrounding areas will start to drop. So now is the ideal time to winterize your home to keep the warm air in and the cold air out. Winterizing also allows you to save money on your heating bills.
Here are some easy steps you can take:
- Cut Your Energy Costs: Many local power companies offer free energy audits. They visit your home and then provide you with tips on cutting energy costs. This could be your first step toward saving money and improving your comfort during the chillier months.
- Improve Your Furnace’s Efficiency: Your furnace will be much more efficient with a clean filter. A dirty filter is filled with dust, dirt, pollen, lint and more. This material reduces airflow and forces your furnace to work harder to warm up your home. You should replace filters at least every three months.
- Consider a Heat Pump Installation: Heat pumps are super energy-efficient systems that can handle both your heating and your cooling needs. If you don’t already have one, we can discuss the potential savings and other advantages with you.
- Get a Programmable Thermostat: With a programmable thermostat, you can customize your heating so the system doesn’t run when you’re at work, on vacation or away for other reasons.
- Keep Out the Cold: Openings in your attic are the main cause of heat loss in your home. To prevent this from happening, make sure your attic is properly insulated. You should also apply caulkaround your windows to prevent warm air from escaping and cold air from sneaking in.
- Add Weatherstripping: Weatherstripping your window and doors is another great way to prevent cold air from entering your home and warm air from escaping. Another easy and effective way to keep out the cold is to use draft stoppers at the bottom of doors.
- Add Another Layer of Protection for Your Windows: Want to stop chilly air from leaking in through window cracks? Replace those light summer curtains with heavier drapes. They’ll help keep your indoor space toasty and lower your heating costs. For windows that aren’t exposed to direct sunlight, close the curtains or drapes to keep cold air at bay.
Blue Ribbon is the team you can count on when you need heating, cooling or indoor air quality services in Bastrop County, Caldwell County, Hays County and South Travis County. To schedule your appointment, use our convenient form or call us at 512.308.3515 today!